The Scarborough College Company was formed in 1896 to promote the idea of founding a boys’ boarding school on the Yorkshire coast where they might be prepared for universities, the learned professions and business careers, while enjoying living at the seaside.
The foundation stone was laid by Alderman George Lord Beeforth, on 24 August 1898 and opened on 18 September 1901.
The College grew quickly, opening with seven pupils, and by 1907 there were seventy boys at the school.
In December 1914, the Yorkshire coast, Scarborough and the College came under fire from the German fleet. The Headmaster, Mr Percy Armstrong, announced that the school was unsafe for the staff and pupils so after the Christmas holidays the school was evacuated to Park Hotel, Keswick for a year.
In 1940, as the Second World War broke out, the RAF commandeered the building as a training establishment and the school was again evacuated, this time to Marske Hall in Swaledale, until September 1946.
On 10 October 1961, a fire broke out in the school. It started near the sick bay and soon engulfed the cupola. The seventy four College House boys and staff, who were living in the building, were safely assembled on the College lawn in their pyjamas. The fire and water damage was considerable and they had to be relocated to a local hotel for a while. The repairs resulted in considerable rebuilding. The College gained a new library and later the observatory tower was rebuilt as it is today.
In 1972, the College opened its doors to girls, making it a co-educational day and boarding school. At first there were two girls, Lindsey Grimstone and Vanessa Gibbon, but soon this number increased dramatically and now the school maintains a near 50/50 split.
In 2000 work began on the new junior school at the Filey Road campus. Lisvane Prep School, on Sandybed Lane, was sold and by February 2000, the junior school relocated to the new premises on Filey Road, which meant that we now had all our staff and pupils on one site.
2012 saw change again, as Scarborough College and Bramcote Prep School underwent a merger which benefitted both schools and the town. This ensured one outstanding school on the North Yorkshire coast, providing independent education for boys and girls, aged 3-18 in either a day or boarding environment.
Redevelopment on Weaponness House was completed in September 2019, following the refurbishment of Denys Crews House in the previous year. With modern features such as sensored lights, USB plug sockets and bespoke boarding furniture; these two boarding houses have put Scarborough College at the very forefront of boarding developments.
At the end of summer 2019, the cricket- and rugby pavilion burnt down due to animals biting through the wiring. The iconic pavilion had stood since 1911 and was home to many stories and memories, lovingly shared by Old Scardeburgians and current pupils. Currently, plans are afoot to restore the pavilion, so that these memories are given a rightful place and new memories can be created.
In March 2020 the College faced its longest period of closure since the Second World War, due to the Coronavirus Pandemic. Due to the lockdown, almost all teaching was conducted online. Scarborough College hosted its first ever virtual open day and both the GCSE and IB Examinations were cancelled and replaced by teacher predicted grades, historical grades and an algorithm to safeguard fairness.